WordPress is an open source CMS (content management system) website development framework written in PHP. This is probably the easiest, quickest way to develop a shiny new website by keeping the cost low. Either you are a developer or a non-geek, you can quickly build a website and give a fresh look by choosing the theme and plugin of your choice.
Broadly WordPress provides two choices for publishing your website: the fully hosted (WordPress.com), or the self-hosted version (WordPress.org).
- WordPress.com is the commercial version of WordPress runs on Open Source WordPress platform. It is created by Automattic Inc.
- WordPress.com helps you to host your own website for free. However, all the free WordPress.com websites will be hosted as a subdomain of WordPress.com domain.
- You can upgrade your website to a custom domain by paying only $2.99 per month for the starter plan or $24.99 for a business plan to get full access. With a premium plan, you can avail advance customization features including spam protection and automatic security updates.
- WordPress.com is the best fit for you if you’re a non-technical user and do not want to manage your domain yourself.
- Provides the limited option for monetization.
- On the other hand, when using WordPress.org you require technical knowledge and you have to take full responsibility to host, manage and update the website yourself.
- You can download the WordPress software for free at http://wordpress.org, and install it on your web server host. You have to choose your domain and hosting provider where the WordPress can be installed.
- Most of the popular hosting providers support one-click WordPress installer for hassle-free installation. Some of the recommended hosting providers are Bluehost, HostGator, DreamHost and WP Engine. Choose your hosting provider carefully, based on the amount of monthly traffic you expect, the hardware resources you need and obviously based on the best deal around you.